HOUSTON – Oh, what a joyous celebration Wednesday morning, Jan. 8, 2014, when Gran was reunited with T at heaven’s entrance.
Joann was born to William Turner and Corrine Wiygul Ray in Tupelo on Dec. 16, 1930. After graduating from Houston High School, she acquired her master’s degree in education from the University of Mississippi. Joann was member of First United Methodist Church for more than 75 years, where she served in many capacities throughout the years. Joann’s church was only one of her loves. Her dedication to the Girl Scouting program for many years as a leader, director and Prairie Council president from 1992-1995 was evident in her and her daughters’ involvement in camping, wider opportunities, and her son’s involvement in Boy Scouting. Many a cookie was stacked in her living room awaiting pickup or delivery. One of the highest levels of acknowledgment is the Thanks Badge she received in 1997.
She taught elementary school early in her marriage and after her children were grown worked as a tutor in the school system. Joann’s volunteering also included working as a Pink Lady at the Houston Hospital and serving with the Three Rivers Regional Library Commission. Joann enjoyed her Tuesday afternoon ladies bridge, Friday night couples bridge, the Cosmopolitan Club and Rebels sports. If it was football season, “Joann speaking” became “Hotty Toddy.”
Services are today, Jan. 10, 2014, at 2:30 p.m. at Houston Funeral Home in Houston with the Rev. Rex Wilburn officiating. Burial will follow at Houston Cemetery.
Survivors include daughters, Karen Craig of Houston, Texas, Rayann (Craig) Dukes of Florence and Carol (Tom) Byrne of Houston, and son, Hal (Sherry) Craig of Houston; her grandchildren, Wil, Wes and Zoe Craig of Houston, Jordan, Reagan, Cameron, Brennan and Tab Byrne of Houston, Katelyn and Carter Dukes of University; and her friends of 80 and 55 years, Jane Bowles of Houston and Mabel Crawford of Saltillo. Many cousins from Nettleton, Tupelo and New Albany and nieces and nephew, Aimee Runnels, Anne Wilson and Jim Burt Sparks, celebrate her life. She was preceded in death by her husband, Thomas Harold Craig.
Pallbearers are Frank Alford, Glenn Gann, Wallace Norman Jr., Rickey Allen, Gary Allen and Barry Eldridge.
Visitation will be Friday, Jan. 10, from 1:30 until the 2:30 p.m. funeral service time at Houston Funeral Home.
Her family gratefully appreciates the kindness, love and care given to Joann and Harold over the past five years. Without this kindness and assistance in their lives, they would not have been this comfortable at home or at Fernbrooke. To these kind men and women who went the extra mile, we say thank you.
Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 123, Houston, MS 38851 or Camp Tik-A-Witha, GS Heart of the South, P.O. Box 240246, Memphis, TN 38124-0246.
Friends and family may sign and leave a message on the online register book at houstonfuneralhomems.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago