Wildcats buzzer beating win over Trojans
The Houlka Wildcats game with the Bruce Trojans in the Calhoun/Chickasaw Challenge went to the wire and proved exiciting, although it was not exactly what coach Jimmy Guy McDonald would have preferred.
“When you have that many turnovers and missed shots, it’s close,” McDonald said of his team, but added the Trojans had their share of miscues as well. “They struggled, like us, with missing easy shots.”
The Wildcats took a 30-23 lead into halftime but saw it slip away quickly as Bruce’s Justin Flemons sank one from the charity stripe and Donate Moore snagged a steal and dished to Donta Armstrong for a bucket. Houlka’s Titus White hit a trey to keep the Wildcats ahead but Flemons matched it and the Trojan’s Jay Johnson and Armstrong both hit to tie the score at 33-all. Bruce’s Malik Hobson’s steal to the goal put the Trojans ahead and the battle was on.
Houlka’s White got a bucket and Larry Jones added a free throw and deuce to put the Wildcats back in the lead, but Armstrong tied it again late in the third. Houlka’s Lewis Moore dished to James Buggs for a deuce to put the Wildcats up 42-41 at the close of the period.
In the fourth, both teams upped the tempo, also increasing the number of turnovers, and ran even through the quarter. In the final minute of play, the Wildcats held a two-point lead, but turned the ball over twice and Bruce’s Armstrong capitalized once to tie it at 55-55. Houlka’s Craig Peden hit a jumper with 12 seconds on the clock to take a Wildcat lead and Bruce’s Johnson threw long to Armstrong in the final second, but the shot didn’t fall and the Houlka boys took a 57-55 win.
Coming off the Christmas break, the Challenge was a good way for local teams to get their feet back on the court, but the division-heavy portion of the season is coming quick and McDonald wants his team to be ready.
“Our boys have played better when they played a set-up, this group has,” McDonald said, adding that there are a lot of positives already on the court. “Our defense is set up better. We’re not letting in the outside shots and inside drives. We’ll have to play a little better together and cover our bases more.”
Lady Cats snap streak
The Lady Wildcats have battled this season, but put their first win on the schedule against the Lady Trojans of Bruce.
“It felt great,” said Shaliece Hamilton of the 48-33 win over Bruce.
“We’ve got more hope now,” added senior Saydee Moss. “Coach was proud of us.”
And coach agreed.
“I am proud of the girls for breaking the ice with a win,” McDonald said. “We won without some of our better scorers.”
Kyanna Hollin led with 13 and Jamesha Word added 12 and McDonald is hoping for a brighter second season, including hopefully the return of senior Jesse Moore who went out earlier in the fall with a broken arm.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago