COOK OF THE WEEK: Houston retiree enjoys cooking, camping
By Ginna Parsons
HOUSTON – Barbara Fleming began cooking at age 10 with the blessing of her mother.
“I liked to cook and my mother let me cook, but she always said I was an expensive cook,” said Fleming, 64.
“It wasn’t that I messed things up. We could always eat everything I cooked, but I liked to cook expensive things.”
During one of her experimental phases, Fleming developed a fascination with food coloring.
“One day I made the creamed potatoes green and my daddy said, ‘Uh, I just can’t eat green potatoes.’ As I went along, my mother helped me and then my mother-in-law, who was a really good cook, too.”
Fleming grew up in Houston, the fourth of five children born to Son and Jonnie Weaver. She is retired from BancorpSouth, where she worked for 40 years. She and her husband, Dwight, live in the Thorn community outside Houston. They have three children and four grandchildren.
Fleming, who plays bridge several times a week, cooks the main meal at lunch every day, and she and Dwight generally eat a light snack in the evenings, or sometimes they’ll have what she calls “plan-aheads,” which is her polite way of saying leftovers.
She also cooks lunch every Sunday for two of her children who live in town and their families.
“I like casseroles and things like red beans and rice,” she said. “I start Sunday lunch on Saturdays and finish it Sunday morning before going to church.”
The Flemings have a big garden at their home and they eat out of it all year long. This past fall, they had a pumpkin patch.
“I had the best time being the ‘pumpkin fairy,’” she said. “I’d just pick a couple and go to someone’s house and secretly leave them.”
The couple has a camper and a group they regularly travel with to different campgrounds, such as Oak Grove, La., Mountain View, Ark., and Trace Lake in Pontotoc.
“We have such a good time when we go,” she said. “My favorite meal is grilled pork rib-eyes, baked potato and salad. I like that even better than a beef steak. When we camp, everybody does a meal, and that’s always my meal. They love it.”
Do you know a good cook? Send your nominations to Ginna Parsons, Cook of the Week, P.O. Box 909, Tupelo, MS 38802. Or you can fax them to (662) 842-2233 or email them to email@example.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago