Tennis travelers wrap up at State
The USTA tennis team comprised of players from Houston and New Albany made their first trip to the State tournament in Jackson in December with a fifth-place showing.
Coach Mike Blissard said the team played well and the finish could be misleading.
“We only lost to one team, but the way the tournament is scored and the way the bracket fell we had to settle for fifth,” Blissard said. “All the players played well at the tournament.”
The team was missing member, Lane Brandon, who suffered an injury and could not compete. The other five members, Walt Harrington and Ezra Blissard of Houston and Mark Robbins, Christopher Shands and Trace Thompson of New Albany represented the Tanglefoot Travelers, named after the recreational trail that runs through both Union and Chickasaw counties.
A defeat by the Oxford team put the Travelers behind and Oxford went on to win the overall tournament.
“Although we won all the other matches we played, we never caught back up,” Blissard said.
This marked the first time for Harrington and Ezra Blissard to compete in a fall USTA State tournament and both said it was a worthwhile trip.
“It was a fun, new experience for me and the whole team just being a part of the first ever fall USTA State Championship,” Harrington said.
“It was great,” added Ezra Blissard. “Of course, my team helped me get there, but I’m glad I had the opportunity to play for a State title.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago