Youth Council gifts Woodland elderly
WOODLAND – It’s just another reason Woodland is such a neat place to live.
The Woodland Mayor’s Youth Council took the initiative just before Christmas to put together gift boxes for local elderly and shut-ins and then delivered each package with a smile.
“They came up with this all on their own and then put together a plan and made it happen,” said Woodland Mayor Patti Watkins. “I think they showed a lot of initiative and more than that, how much they care for people in this community.”
Watkins said the group baked cookies, rounded up sweets and toiletries and made a day out of it.
“They got together and had a great time,” said Watkins. “I think the part they liked best was visiting with our seniors.
“In Woodland everybody knows everybody and some of our elderly remember when some of our youth council member’s parents were kids,” said Watkins. “Watching these two generations interact was very special.
The village of Woodland formed a Mayor’s Youth Council in March and almost immediately attended the Mississippi Municipal League Statewide Youth Leadership Summit held in Hattiesburg. The Woodland group returned home looking for community service projects.
“We went down there not really knowing what to expect and our kids did a lot of listening,” said Watkins. “But on the ride back home I got to listen to them talk about what they had seen and what they wanted to do in Woodland.”
Watkins said the council tries to do a service project each month.
“They helped put up lights for our annual Christmas lights display, they have worked with our Easter Egg Hunt and they just look for ways to help,” she added.
Watkins said the Woodland Mayor’s Youth Council run their own meetings and elect their own leaders.
Watkins said both Tupelo and Starkville have established youth councils and the Woodland group would probably look at how they are organized and projects they are involved in.
“The kids on our council go to school in Houston, Hebron, East Webster and Houlka but they are all from Woodland,” said Watkins. “They really are a bright bunch of kids and there is no doubt the are going to make something happen.”
For more information on the Woodland Mayor’s Youth Council contact Woodland City Hall at 456-1341.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago