EDITORIAL: Call for help
Houston is asking to renegotiate its 911 contract with Chickasaw County, as well it should.
Houston is the only municipality in the county that is paying to support this vital communication service to everyone who pays a phone bill. And Houston taxpayers are supporting the county’s 911 system to the tune of $100,000 a year.
Okolona, Houlka and Woodland pay nothing.
Yes, those three communities have a different dispatching system and probably should have a different payment level than Houston.
In Okolona the fire department handles most of the dispatching duties for city police, the Okolona Electric Department and city water and street departments. In Houlka and Woodland they handle dispatching needs with a phone call.
Houston aldermen entered a contract with Chickasaw County Supervisors a little over two years ago and agreed to handle dispatching duties for the city for a fee. The county also hired City of Houston dispatchers at that time.
Terms of the contract called for Houston and Chickasaw County to sit down every two years and review the agreement.
It is time to do something different.
Dispatching is a critical component to emergency services whether it is police, fire, dog catcher or city utilities. Getting help and getting trained personnel on the scene to make the world a little safer is the first job of government.
The idea of an Okolona police officer radioing for help and met with dead silence is not good city policy. The idea of any taxpayer in Woodland, Houlka, Okolona or Houston calling for help and not getting it should concern us all.
This newspaper hopes residents and leaders of Okolona, Houlka and Woodland don’t take this opportunity to just fight for their spot of ground.
We hope county officials use this opportunity to take a long hard look at what they need to manage a county-wide 911 system that is professionally trained and able to answer the phones 24/7.
We hope Houston realizes they need to pay their fair share.
Now is the time to revamp our Chickasaw County 911 system. Let’s work together and get it done before someone calls for help and doesn’t get it.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago