Tanglefoot protects name, attracts sponsors
PONTOTOC – The Tanglefoot Trail name is being protected against encroachment.
The GM&O Rails-to-Trails Recreational District, which owns the 44.53-mile bike-and-pedestrian, Houston-to-New Albany path, last month took steps to become the legal owners of the name and related graphics. The name reflects the name of an early locomotive on the route and hints at the trail’s kudzu-laden landscape.
“We have filed the logo and name in terms of getting it trademarked,” Ronnie Bell, governmental functions director with Three Rivers Planning and Development District, told the board Friday. Three Rivers provides administrative support for the Trail.
“This was the only one filed, so you were first in line,” added Three Rivers Executive Director Randy Kelley.
The board discussed possible commercial use of the logo and how organizations holding events at the trail might be allowed to incorporate it into their promotional materials.
Board member Jon David Naugher cautioned about being too restrictive in the logo’s use.
“I think it’s all about publicity and people using the thing,” he said. “I’d like people to see (trail users’) T-shirts or medals and say, ‘Where is that? I want to go ride that.’”
Trail Manager Don Locke reported sponsorship agreements since the November meeting of $27,750, making a total of $56,000 in sponsorships since the trail’s opening in October. Sponsors include several individuals and families along with a variety of businesses.
Scores of sponsorships are still available, Locke said. Categories start with five-year sponsorships of mile markers at a cost of $1,000 up front or $250 per year. At increasing levels of support are sponsorships for rest and rain stops, rain stops, information and warm-up stations, bridges and pavilions.
Five-year gold- and platinum-level sponsorships include signage at designated trail locations, right to use the trail logo in marketing materials and exclusivity within their business categories.
The 10-year Title Sponsorship is $50,000 per year and includes trail naming rights, the sponsor’s name on the trail logo and its corporate identity on all trail advertising and marketing.
Board Chairman Ray Collins lauded Locke’s success at attracting sponsors.
“He came by my office yesterday morning to discuss prospects for sponsorships,” Collins told board members. “When I went to lunch, he was in the restaurant having lunch with most of them.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Errol Castens
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago