Tanglefoot protects name, attracts sponsors
PONTOTOC – The Tanglefoot Trail name is being protected against encroachment.
The GM&O Rails-to-Trails Recreational District, which owns the 44.53-mile bike-and-pedestrian, Houston-to-New Albany path, last month took steps to become the legal owners of the name and related graphics. The name reflects the name of an early locomotive on the route and hints at the trail’s kudzu-laden landscape.
“We have filed the logo and name in terms of getting it trademarked,” Ronnie Bell, governmental functions director with Three Rivers Planning and Development District, told the board Friday. Three Rivers provides administrative support for the Trail.
“This was the only one filed, so you were first in line,” added Three Rivers Executive Director Randy Kelley.
The board discussed possible commercial use of the logo and how organizations holding events at the trail might be allowed to incorporate it into their promotional materials.
Board member Jon David Naugher cautioned about being too restrictive in the logo’s use.
“I think it’s all about publicity and people using the thing,” he said. “I’d like people to see (trail users’) T-shirts or medals and say, ‘Where is that? I want to go ride that.’”
Trail Manager Don Locke reported sponsorship agreements since the November meeting of $27,750, making a total of $56,000 in sponsorships since the trail’s opening in October. Sponsors include several individuals and families along with a variety of businesses.
Scores of sponsorships are still available, Locke said. Categories start with five-year sponsorships of mile markers at a cost of $1,000 up front or $250 per year. At increasing levels of support are sponsorships for rest and rain stops, rain stops, information and warm-up stations, bridges and pavilions.
Five-year gold- and platinum-level sponsorships include signage at designated trail locations, right to use the trail logo in marketing materials and exclusivity within their business categories.
The 10-year Title Sponsorship is $50,000 per year and includes trail naming rights, the sponsor’s name on the trail logo and its corporate identity on all trail advertising and marketing.
Board Chairman Ray Collins lauded Locke’s success at attracting sponsors.
“He came by my office yesterday morning to discuss prospects for sponsorships,” Collins told board members. “When I went to lunch, he was in the restaurant having lunch with most of them.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Errol Castens
- Okolona celebrates graduation May 20, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago