Chickasaw United Way needs are up
HOUSTON – There are always people in need and that means Chickasaw County needs United Way now more than ever.
United Way provided $116,302 of assistance to 32 agencies serving people from Chickasaw County last year and those agencies have requested roughly $159,850 this year.
“The goal this year for United Way of North Mississippi is $2.4 million,” said Michelle Richardson, United Way spokesman. “We have not made our goal just yet, but we feel sure we will by Christmas and be ready to allocate those funds in January.”
Robertson said it is no secret that donations are down and needs are up.
“Our main source of income is payroll deductions and the headcount is down in a lot of our factories and businesses,” said Richardson. “We just don’t want people to forget us at Christmas. United Way serves people in Chickasaw County year round.”
The Chickasaw County United Way Funds Distribution Committee met last week to begin the process of deciding the level of funding agencies will get.
“The Funds Distribution Committee is one of the key components of United Way,” said Richardson. “These are people from your community who know the local need, they know these agencies and they decide where the dollars go.”
Richardson pointed out United Way donations raised in Chickasaw County are dispersed by the committee to the 32 agencies making requests.
She said only 1 percent of United Way donations go to administration and the rest is dispersed to local agencies.
Agencies on this year’s list are; American Red Cross, Autism Center of Tupelo, CATCH Kids, COPES – CDF Charities Inc., EXCEL Inc., Faith Haven, Family Resource Center of NEMS, Gardner-Simons Home for Girls, Girl Scouts, Habitat for Humanity of Houston, Harden House, Hope Family Ministries, LIFE of Mississippi, Mission Okolona Food Pantry, NCADD, NMMC Camp Breathe EZZZE, NMMC Cancer Patient Fund, NMMC Diabetes Assistance Fund, NMMC Heart Patient Assistance Fund, NMMC Hospice Patient Assistance Fund, NMMC Social Work Patient Fund, North MS Kidney Foundation, Okolona Dollars for Scholars, Parkgate Pregnancy Clinic, Regional Rehabilitation Center, S.A.F.E., Sally Kate Winters Family Services, Salvation Army of Chickasaw County, Special Ed Bowling League, Survival Inc., Weston Reed Foundation and Women First.
The United Way 2011 Fundraising Campaign will close out in January and the Distribution Committee will meet that month to distribute funds.
The deadline to request funds from United Way of Chickasaw County was Nov. 1.
There are 18 Chickasaw County residents on the local fund disbursement committee.
Members of the 2014 Chickasaw Funds Distribution Committee are: Tiffany Bean, Birdie Burdine, Hank Franklin, Talitha Hudson, Gene Childs, Floyd Ingram, Shenia Jones, Steve Shultz, Terri Turner, Barbara Buggs, Donna Chrestman, Perry Grubbs, Scott Shempert, Debbie Harmon, Tom Byrne, Joyce East, Betty Holder and Frank Pemper.
“We are always looking for volunteers to serve on the disbursement committee,” said Richardson. “It’s as simple as calling us or stopping by our office and saying you want to volunteer.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
Allocations, cancer, Chickasaw County, diabetes, Excel, featured, Funds, Habitat For Humanity, help, Mission Okolona, Mississippi, needs, Okolona, Preganancy, Red Cross, SAFE, Sally Kate Winters, salvation army, Scholars, Special ed, Special Ed Bowling, Special Education, SURVIVAL, United, united way, Way
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago