Okolona parade fills Main Street
OKOLONA – The weather was perfect Monday night as more than 50 units took part in the Okolona Christmas Parade.
The theme of this year’s parade was “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” and saw a variety of floats, walking troops, car clubs and two bands march down Main Street.
“I thought the crowd was good and the weather was cool but no rain,” said Perry Grubbs, Executive Director of the Okolona Chamber of Commerce. “Things went smoothly and it was really a nice way to kick off the Christmas holidays.”
The chamber judged floats in the parade based on theme, quality and crowd appeal. Winners were:
First Place – Harp Float 1949, with harpists and a vocalist singing “I’ll Be Home For Christmas.”
Second Place – Excel with youth dressed as presents and filling a trailer with “gifts.”
Third Place – County Line 4-H with kids dressed as Christmas boxes and accompanied by a large walking group.
The parade also featured local businesses, civic clubs and city departments.
“I personally want to thank Debora Shelton and her volunteers for putting this parade together,” said Grubbs. “The community always enjoys the Christmas parade and these chamber volunteers are the ones who make it happen.”
The Houston Christmas Parade was held Tuesday night and will be featured in next week’s Chickasaw Journal. The theme of Houston’s parade was “Hometown Heroes” with emphasis on emergency personnel.
Other parades slated for the area include:
• The Town of New Houlka will host their Christmas parade Dec. 7 at 5 p.m. with the theme, “A Patriotic Christmas.” Please call City Hall at 568-2745 to be added to the list. Applications are not required.
• The Mantee Christmas parade will be held Dec. 7 at 5 p.m. with line-up at 4:30 p.m. There is no entry fee and a general Christmas theme will be the rule of thumb. The annual chili supper at the Volunteer Fire Department will cap the evening. For information, call 263-75936 or 263-7338.
• Vardaman’s Christmas parade will be held Dec. 10 at 7 p.m. with line-up at 6:30 p.m. behind the Methodist Church and applications will be available at City Hall. For information, call Cathy Dauzat at 414-0602. Grand Marshall will be Robert Earl McGregor.
• The Town of Woodland will light up the season with the annual Christmas lights throughout the village depicting holiday scenes. Driving and walking tours begin Thanksgiving night and are at no charge.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago