Around the court
Houlka coach Jimmy Guy McDonald said out loud what is on every coaches’ mind during the early season.
“Some people like to play basketball in November,” McDonald said with a smile. “I like to play in February.”
Although the fans of the sport love the game now matter when it’s played, coaches and players realize Novemeber and December are prime time to sharpen the edges and prepare for the real prize – division wins.
The wildcats came out of November with wins over North Pontotoc and Houston and losses to Oxford and Myrtle, but McDonald predicted pre-season it would be hard to track his team by the regular season schedule.
“You can’t predict a record because we play so many bigger teams,” McDonald said.
Houlka is due to see court time with Hickory Flat, Blue Mountain, Houston, Ingomar and Okolona before breaking into division play against Tupelo Christian Prep in late January.
In other action
The Lady Rams of Vardaman wrapped up November with a win over Hamilton and losses to Water Valley, Charleston and East Webster.
“We have some work to do,” said coach Deanna Winter.
The Vardaman teams will be back on the floor this week in Jumpertown and hosting Myrtle.
They will hit division play before Christmas, hosting Houlka Dec. 20.
East Webster’s boys and girls both picked up wins over Vardaman and TCPS before the Thanksgiving break and will stay in non-division through Christmas.They will open divison in Calhoun City Jan. 21.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago