Travelers head to state
The Tanglefoot Travelers tennis team wrapped up their fall regular season, but will hit the court again on Dec. 6 as they head to the State Championship tournament.
The team, comprised of players from Houston and Pontotoc, and named after the Tanglefoot Trail which runs through both towns, played their final fall match Nov. 8 in the 18-under men’s division. They competed against the Northeast Gold team from Booneville and coach Mike Blissard said they knew the competition would be stiff.
“We knew we had a tough match ahead of us leading up to Monday,” Blissard said. “Both our team and theirs were 4-0. They had won 75 percent of their games and we had won 78 percent (of ours).”
When the Travelers hit the court, they were surpised at what they saw.
“What I didn’t expect was four of the Northeast Community College players standing on the court waiting for us,” Blissard said.
The Travelers, all high school age, accepted the challenge.
“In true David versus Goliath fashion the Tanglefoot Travelers prevalied, four matches to two,” Blissard said.
The winning team included Houston players, Walt Harrington, Ezra Blissard and Lane Brandon.
The team won’t see much down time over the holiday break as their next stop is the State Championship series beginning Dec. 6.
“Now we are preparing to compete at State,” Blissard said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago