WEST POINT – Elbert Auvergne “”Smitty”” Smith, 86, passed away Wednesday, Nov. 27, 2013, at his home in West Point. He was born April 24, 1927, in Mantee to Jessie Etoil Murrah Smith and Perry Elbert Smith.
He was retired from Babcock & Wilcox, where he worked in maintenance. He was a member of Calvary Baptist Church and a veteran of the U.S. Army. He married Helen May Towery Smith on June 14, 1947, in West Point.
Services will be at 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 30, at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel with the Rev. Roy Myers officiating and Dr. James Towery assisting. Burial will follow in Memorial Garden Cemetery at West Point. Calvert Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his wife, Helen Towery Smith of West Point; one son, Charles Elbert Smith (Pam) of Pinckney, Mich.; one sister, Kathryne Moore of West Point.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his brother, Jessie Harmon Smith, and two sisters Stella Elizabeth Smith and Betty Smith.
Pallbearers will be George Pearson, Carl Shirley, Larry Moore, Dr. Robert Young, Herb Ingram, Ken Wilbourne and Rob Wilbourne.
Honorary pallbearers will be members of the Big Buck Hunting Club, the Silver Thin Hair Sunday School Class and his former co-workers at Babcock & Wilcox.
Memorials may be made to American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 8217, Jackson, MS 39284 or to the donor’s choice.
Visitation will be from 1 until 3 p.m. Saturday at Calvert Funeral Home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago