Basketball registration underway
Houston’s Park and Recreation department is growing steadily with new options for residents of Houston and the surrounding areas.
This fall, Park and Rec offered adult softball for men and women that turned out to be widely popular and for their winter follow-up, they are hosting children’s and youth basketball.
Park and Rec Director, John Gravat, used every means possible to get the word out. In addition to releasing information to the newspaper, he also dropped off fliers at the local schools and posted information on Facebook.
“Every child in first through sixth grade should be bringing home something with sign-up dates and fees,” Gravat said.
Registration began Nov. 23 and will continue through Dec. 6. Interested parents may register their child or children at the Houston City Hall weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. A fee of $50 will be charged for the first child in a family and an additional $45 fee will apply to addition children. Fees cover a jersey, insurance and an end-of-season trophy for each player.
Gravat hopes to begin evaluations Dec. 7 with practices in December and play beginning in January.
Evaluations, practices and games will all be held at the Houston Upper Elementary School gymnasium.
As with any youth oriented program, volunteers are a necessary part of the equation and there is a need for adults to assist with coaching and refeering games.
To register, go by Houston City Hall and for information, call Gravat at 542-9139.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houston to craft no-smoking ordinance May 17, 2016
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago