Lighthouse Hoops heads to Corinth
CORINTH – Welcome to the national high school basketball spotlight.
On Nov. 29-30, the Lighthouse Foundation of Corinth welcomes 19 teams to Crossroads Arena for the Inaugural Lighthouse Thanksgiving Classic.
This isn’t your father’s tournament.
“I’ll tell you what. I don’t think there’s been a tournament with the lineup that’s coming in, in this state, or in this part of the state, before,” said Lighthouse executive director Gary Caveness, who along with board vice president Vince Overholt put the tournament together.
Two of the 19 teams in the two-day fundraiser are the top-ranked teams in their state. Wenonah is MaxPreps’ No. 1 team Alabama. The Birmingham team has won three straight state titles and piled up 93 wins along the way. Memphis White Station is the No. 1 preseason team in Tennessee. DeSoto is Texas’ No. 3 overall and No. 2 public school.
“It’s going to be an amazing thing to see,” Caveness said. “We’ve made up our minds that we’re going to run the best tournament in the south. We’re exited about the field.”
Four players in the ESPN 100 will be there and White Station begins the season at No. 16 in the the country in the MaxPreps Top 25. Wenonah could be in the rankings by the end of the month and if DeSoto is in, Saturday night’s matchup with White Station will be the first-ever Top 25 matchup in Mississippi history.
Come-and-go tickets are $8, $5 for children.
Five-star Devin Booker is Mississippi’s’ No. 1 recruit. The Moss Point SG is No. 18 in the ESPN 100. He committed to Kentucky over the likes of Florida, Missouri, Michigan State and Michigan.
White Station’s LeRon Black, a 6-foot-7, PF is an Illinois commit. The 4-star had offers that included Indiana, Baylor, Connecticut, Florida, NC State, Ohio State, Tennessee and UCLA.
Black’s teammate, 4-star Chris Chiozza, is right behind him at No. 42 in the ESPN 100. The 5-foot-11 point guard has committed to Florida, over Auburn, Massachusetts, Ohio State, Richmond, Tennessee and hometown Memphis. The mates are Tennessee’s top two recruits. White Station SG Davell Roby has committed to Saint Louis.
Wenonah point guard Justin Coleman is an Alabama commit, who also had offers from Auburn and UAB. He is the state’s No. 2 prospect.
DeSoto, which sent 2013 graduate Matt Jones to Duke, has another two commits, 6-foot-7 post playes Terry Maston (Baylor) and Devin Wyatt (Loyola Marymount). The two are No. 31 and 32 on Texas’ ESPN player rankings, Wyatt at 31.
There are six games Friday, highlighted by a local matchup at 5 p.m. between Class 1A champ Biggersville – led by senior guard Daniel Simmons, who has an offer from Middle Tennessee State – and Class 6A Tupelo. Class 4A runner-up Corinth will follow against Moss Point.
“This is a win-win situation for our whole area. No. 1, it’s going to bring the best basketball we’ve ever seen in our area,” Caveness said. “It’s a win for the fans. It’s a win for the teams. They’re going to come and play competition that’s hard to find. And it’s great for the community.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago