Alex Springer named Miss Hilltopper
HOUSTON – Alex Springer has been competing in pageants since she was a first grader, but winning the title of Miss Hilltopper Saturday night has thrilled this high school freshman.
And to make the crown even more exciting, she won it on her birthday.
“I was born and raised in Houston and I competed in this pageant just about every year,” said Springer. “It really does mean a lot to me.”
Springer was named a beauty in the sixth, seventh and eighth grades and said she really didn’t expect to win it all her first year in high school.
“I enjoy pageants and it’s not all about winning,” said Springer. “They named the Beauties and then started calling out the names. There at the last I was the only time I really felt like I could win it.”
Springer also said she knew every girl on stage and she thanked them for standing with her Saturday night.
“Everyone wants to win, but if your friends win – that’s great, too,” said Springer. “The only thing I don’t like about this is I won’t be able to compete next year since I will have to crown the next winner.”
Springer is a Houston High School cheerleader, she serves on the Student Council and is a member of Beta Club.
She wore a white dress from Judy’s Formal Wear. Her makeup was done by Beauty Boutique.
“I always wear white,” said the tall, blonde ninth grader. “I want to thank Judy McQuary for helping me with the dress and Shannon Redden for helping me with my hair and makeup. You have to be confident on stage and they helped me feel my best.”
Springer said having the guys in her class provide entertainment for the pageant – billed as “Girl’s Night Out” – made the evening fun for the audience and contestants.
“I know the audience loved the show,” said Springer. “I know it made me and the other girls laugh. It took out some of the stress and made it a lot more fun.”
The annual pageant for grades six through 12 incorporated music and dance to keep the evening fast-paced and entertaining.
The pageant was directed by Janet Coker, and she was assisted by Carol Gibson, who choreographed the dance numbers.
The pageant saw 49 girls compete for a middle school and high school crown.
Jordan Ashley Harmon, an eighth grader at Houston Middle School was named Miss Junior Hilltopper.
The pageant and music revue helped raise funds for the spring production of the Houston Community Theatre.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago