Eagles nip Raiders in OT
The Eagles knew they were in for a tough battle against Delta Academy and they got one, but the Hebron boys outlasted the Delta team in overtime to secure their win and take another step closer to State.
“They were really tough and we knew they were going to be,” said coach David Foster of the Delta Raiders. The Delta team bested Hebron 16-22 in the regular season, but the Eagles flipped the score on them Nov. 8.
“This week, we did,” Foster said.
Delta scored in the first quarter on a four-yard run and a 14-yard pass and made one conversion good for a 14-0 lead, putting Hebron in a position of coming back from a deficit.
Landon Hill started the scoring in the second quarter on a 59-yard run and Hayden Carty caught a 23-yard TD pass from Channing Tapley to put the Eagles back in contention. The Hebron boys missed on both conversions, putting them down 12-14 at the half.
Neither team scored in the third, but the action heated up in the fourth with Hebron going ahead on a 17-yard pass to Drew Myatt and Tapley getting the conversion. Delta completed a 60-yard drive late in the fourth with a 12-yard TD run and their missed conversion tied the game at 20-all.
With just over a minute to go, Delta kicked off and the Eagles were just shy of the end zone, forcing overtime.
Delta went on offense first and the Eagles put up a blue and gold wall to prevent them from crossing the goal line.
“They had some big plays and held them four downs,” Foster said.
On Hebron’s offense, Tapley hit Myatt for the touchdown and a 26-20 win.
“It was,” Foster said. “But they played well enough to hold them in overtime.”
Next stop, Sharky-Issaquena
The Eagles head to Rolling Fork Friday to take on undefeated Sharky-Issaquena (12-0, 5-0). The Confederates took a regular season win over Hebron, but Foster thinks things have changed for the better for the Eagles.
“They bumfuzzled us early and we never got our offense going at all,” Foster said of the regular season loss. “They’re a really good team, but we’ll see if we can line up. I think my guys can play with them. We got beat by Delta the first time, too, but we’re a different team than we were then. When you make it this far, everybody is pretty good.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago