Toppers fall in playoffs
Although the Hilltoppers came up short against the Greenwood Bulldogs, coach William Cook wants the experience of another playoff season to provide a new mindset and lead to changed expectations.
“We want to go from ‘it’s great when we make it’ to ‘this is what we do,'” Cook said.
The Hilltoppers made history in 2012, winning their first playoff game and making the third round and broke another school record this season by entering playoffs three consecutive years.
But Cook wants more for the team’s future.
“We want it to be that it’s expected we’ll be there, not that it’s a surprise we made it,” Cook said.
The Toppers trip to playoffs this season matched them against a very big, very tough Greenwood team.
“They’ll go far in playoffs,” predicted Cook.
The Bulldogs controlled the game from the first quarter, capitalizing on Houston’s mistakes and making very few on their own possessions.
But one Greenwood mistake definitely stood out as they fumbled in the opening drive of the third quarter. Houston’s Devin Murphy scooped up the ball and ran it back 67-yards for Houston’s sole touchdown and Wes Parker’s PAT was good to put the Hilltoppers on the board.
“I think that’s every lineman’s dream,” said defensive coordinator Coty Cox. “To scoop and score. If you ask any lineman, offense or defense, what his dream is, it’s to score.”
The Bulldogs took the win, 52-8.
Building for another season
The Toppers listed nine seniors this season, with eight playing and one out for recovery from surgery and Cook wants his underclassmen to come up with an expectation of an extended season every year. The non-divison schedule is loaded with quality teams for a reason.
“You want to play a tough schedule to get ready for division and playoffs,” Cook said.
Overall, he said he was pleased with the defensive effort across the season.
“Denver (McQuary) ended up with eight picks for the season,” Cook said. “Nate Smith worked himself in the off-season to being a player this year.”
He also sees sparks for the future in several underclassmen.
“On offense, we found some younger guys to get experience for positions in the future.”
And the future isn’t far off.
“We’ll start off-season workouts next week,” Cook said “Next year’s team starts now.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago