FOOTBALL ROUNDUP: Highschool games Friday, Nov. 8, 2013
Daily Journal reports
Top-seed Corinth picked a bad night to play a bad game, losing 15-10 against visiting Byhalia (4-6) in the opening round of the Class 4A playoffs. The Journal’s No. 1-ranked Warriors gave up a 72-yard hail mary on fourth-and-17 with 11 seconds left in the game.
“We picked a bad night to play bad,” Corinth coach Doug Jones said.
“We didn’t play very well and weren’t ready to play. I can’t put my finger on it. They made one more play at the end.”
Corinth (10-2) trailed 9-3 at the half and took a 10-9 lead on QB Antares Gwyn’s sneak with 1:10 left.
The well-defended winning touchdown went from Markiese Rodgers to Chris Rayford between two Corinth defenders in stride. But Corinth had two costly turnovers in the first half, one at the Byhalia 7 yard line.
Corinth had won nine straight.
“Obviously these seniors especially were real upset after that kind of loss,” Jones said. “I think they know we didn’t play very good. You could hear a pin drop in (the locker room.) We just didn’t play well. They did. You’ve got to tip your hats to them. They came and beat a one-seed.”
Greenwood 52, Houston 7: The Hilltoppers end their season at 1-11.
Rosa Fort 29, Shannon 7: Shannon ends the season at 4-7.
Aberdeen 48, Humphreys County 12: Jerrick Orr, Tramontay Prather and Tyreke Gates scored 2 TDs each for Aberdeen. The Bulldogs will go to Charleston Friday.
East Side 42, Nettleton 13: Levert Jernigan caught a 35-yard TD from Dakota Cruber and Laonta Nabors had a 3-yard TD run for Nettleton.
North Panola 52, Booneville 48: The two-seed Blue Devils’ season ends at 8-3.
Charleston 40, Belmont 0: Belmont finishes the season at 3-8.
Water Valley 47, Kossuth 15: Kossuth ends the season at 4-7.
Baldwyn 44, West Tallahatchie: Baldwyn scored 37 unanswered points to win its first-round playoff game 44-22 over visiting West Bolivar. The Bearcats visit Bruce Friday.
Corbin Scott threw 3 TD passes to Devonta Gates (7), Martel Brown (17) and Clayton Gray (13). Nathan Watson had a 59-yard pick-6.
Walnut 32, Coahoma AHS 8: The Wildcats got early TDs on Armani Linton’s 4-yard run and Monterio Hunt’s 43-yard pick-6. Walnut hosts West Bolivar Friday.
Bruce 21, Simmons 20: The Trojans forced a turnover on downs with 34 seconds to play.
Calhoun City 42, J.Z. George 6: The Wildcats will travel to Walnut Friday for a second-round game.
West Bolivar 13, Okolona 6: Okolona ends the season at 5-4.
Marshall Academy 48, DeSoto, Ark. 24: Jordan Harris scored on a 69-yard run and a 43-yard pass from Dakota Dailey in an AA quarterfinal win. Dailey accounted for 5 TDs.
Smithville 33, Houlka 8: Smithville earns the No. 2 seed from Division 1-1A. Smithville QB Drew Lann rushed for 2 TDs and threw a 45-yard TD to Neil Knight.
Oxford 45, Lake Cormorant 17: Kenzie Phillips rushed for 2 TDs and Jack Abraham threw 2 TD passes to Joey Walden.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago