Vardaman revels in 40th annual festival
The annual event, which takes its name from the sweet potatoes grown in surrounding fields, draws state and national attention and is billed as one of the nicer small festivals in the country.
“It’s all about sweet potatoes and Vardaman,” said Kim Kendall, owner of Timberville, a clothing store in downtown Vardaman. “As you can see the streets are packed and the store is packed. We love it.”
Maxine Blue, co-chairman of the Sweet Potato Festival with her husband Jim, said the weather was perfect and they had a wide variety of booths at this year’s festival.
“I think this was the largest one we have had in several years as far as people on the streets,” said Blue. “I know the crowd was larger than last year.”
Kendall said her store uses the Sweet Potato Festival to get a jump on the holiday buying season.
“If we have good sales at the Sweet Potato Festival we usually have a good fall,” said Kendall. “It’s right after Halloween and we promote people going ahead and getting started on their Christmas shopping.”
And Saturday’s crowds looked to be in a buying mood.
“Things went very well and there were no major problems,” said Blue. “People were buying from the booths, the food is always good, we had top-notch entertainment and we sold boxes and boxes of sweet potatoes.”
Vardaman has a population of about 2,600. Blue estimated the crowd at between 12,000 and 14,000, but admitted she could have missed somebody.
“People come back home to Vardaman every year to be part of this,” said Blue. “We start working on this in August and we couldn’t do it without the volunteers. This truly is a community event and that is part of the reason it is so successful.”
Blue said the event is also a giant fundraiser for local churches, organizations and schools.
“The fire department always lets someone cook the barbecue chicken and this year it was the booster club from the school,” said Blue. “The Sweet Potato Festival does a lot to help a lot of people in this community.”
Car tags could be seen from as far away as Harrison and DeSoto counties on the cars parked bumper to bumper on U.S. Highway 8. Tags from Georgia, Tennessee, Texas and North Carolina were also spotted.
The Sweet Potato Festival continues this week with beauty pageants for different age groups. The event wraps up Saturday with the Sweet Potato Festival Banquet at Vardaman Gym.
For information about the Vardaman Sweet Potato Festival, call 662-682-7559.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago