Skelton leads team to victory
A new Pigskin Pickers champion was crowned following a close, ten-week competition.
Sam Skelton, newest coach of the Sav-a-Lot team, had a challenge before him, as his team had won the championship in 2010 and 2011, placing second to the Houston Check Cashers team in 2012.
Skelton and his stable rose to the occasion, posting a 77-23 overall record and reclaiming the title.
But it wasn’t a runaway by any means and Skelton had plenty of competition from the other teams on the field.
Gene Childs led the Houston Banking Center team to a 74-26 record and a second place finish, improving significantly from fifth place in 2012.
The Houston Check Cashers team, captained by Rebecca Shaw, fell to third place but with a very positive record of 73-27. Shaw, a scrappy competitor and avid statistician, is expected back on the field next season to try to take back her title from 2012.
Newcomer Patrick Pearson made a name for the Pearson’s Drugs team, sliding in the fourth place position on his first outing with a record of 71-29.
Rounding out the field and finishing neck-and-neck were Todd Kilgore and the K-N-K team (59-41), Neil Alford and the Chickasaw Equipment team (59-41), Jason Brooks and the Watkins, Ward and Stafford team (58-42) and Jerry Morgan of the Okolona Pharm team (57-43).
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago