Fire damages 2nd Ave. home
HOUSTON – An kitchen fire at a home on Second Avenue heavily damaged the home and kept firefighters on the scene about an hour before they got it out cold.
The blaze was reported by a neighbor and the Houston Fire Department was dispatched at 5:50 p.m. Thursday with smoke and flames reported when firefighters arrived on the scene.
“At this point in time we don’t know exactly what caused the fire,” said Sgt. Billy Watkins, of the Houston Fire Department. “The occupants were in the process of moving out of the home and all we know is it appears to have started in the kitchen.”
Watkins said two fire trucks were sent to the scene and eight volunteers and two city firefighters responded. He said firefighters knocked the kitchen fire out almost immediately, but the fire had extended into the attic and personnel were on the scene for some time making sure it was out and had not spread to another part of the house.
“When it gets in the ceiling like that it can be hard to find,” said Watkins. “There was a lot of smoke and we used fans to ventilate the house.”
Both engines were back in service at 7 p.m.
Watkins said no one was injured in the blaze.
The fire call came while fire trucks were parked on the Square in Houston for the Boo Bash. The trucks were being used to block streets off for trick-or-treaters.
The Houston Fire Department and Trans-Care ambulances were called to Clark Appliance Service at 313 South Jackson at 10:01 a.m. Saturday after a pickup truck left the street and hit a tree.
“When our units responded to the scene they found a man in the vehicle with injuries to his head and apparently confused and suffering from other medical problems,” said Capt. Jonathan Blankenship, of the Houston Fire Department.
The accident caused significant damage to the Ford Ranger pickup. The vehicle narrowly missed hitting the building.
No other vehicles or people were involved in the accident and Blankenship said a dog traveling with the driver was unhurt.
The driver was transported by ambulance to Trace Regional Hospital and was later transferred to North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo where he underwent surgery. The driver was still in the hospital as of Monday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Houlka streamlines police accounting May 18, 2016
- Toppers commit four errors in loss May 22, 2016
- Rob Marion scholarship established May 22, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago