An angel to watch over us
HOUSTON – Residents at Floy Dyer Manor Extended Care in Houston will have a new piece of artwork to enjoy.
A painting of an angel is now hanging in the entryway thanks to a partnership between John and Peggy Walden and Candace Stephenson.
Stephenson created the artwork at the T.K. Martin Center for Technology at Mississippi State University and displayed it during the MSU/Chickasaw County Extenion’s Art in the Park event in Houston in 2012. It was purchased by John and Peggy Walden, who are affiliated with the Extension office through the Master Gardener’s program.
The Waldens donated the painting to the nursing facility Oct. 22 during this year’s Art in the Park event with Stephenson on hand for the presentation.
“We want to donate this piece of art to the hospital on behalf of the Master Gardeners,” John Walden said. “The significance is that even though someone may have disabilities, what gives all of us our abilities is hope. And Candace is a great example of that.”
Stephenson has cerebral palsy and has been involved with the T.K. Martin Center which assists people with disabilities in creating art and displaying it for sale.
The angel painting, titled “Sweet Spirit,” is just one of her creations.
“My mom brings me once a month to art and I never really have a mind set,” Stephenson said. “(I use) all different techniques and supplies to do angels and bright colors, bubbly.”
Stephenson said her time at the T.K. Martin Center is a stress reducer.
“We all live such structured lives and you have to,” Stephenson said. “When I’m there for a couple of hours, I don’t have to.”
Stephenson received her bachelor’s degree in Education and her master’s degree in French, both from MSU and stays involved with the Center and campus.
“T.K. Martin is like a second family,” Stephenson said. “It’s my second home. I worked there while I was in school and now I just hang around. They can’t get rid of me.”
Judy Duncan, coordinator for the Art in the Park event said it’s not an issue.
“We can’t get rid of her and we don’t want to,” Duncan laughed.
Linda Boutwell, Director of Floy Dyer, received the donated painting with thanks.
“A lot of people come to our facility for rehab and this will give them inspiration,” Boutwell said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- Rain doesn’t stop Relay May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago