Sweet Potato Fest is Saturday
VARDAMAN – The 40th Annual Sweet Potato Festival is Saturday with more than 271 booths and a day of food and entertainment expected to bring thousands of people to the Sweet Potato Capital of the World.
The annual event draws state and national attention and is billed as one of the nicer small festivals in the country. And it has its roots – no pun intended – in the sweet potatoes grown in the surrounding, brown, sandy soil.
“It really is a unique festival in that it is themed around a crop that is so important to this community and a food item that is known virtually throughout the world,” said Maxine Blue, co-chairman of the Sweet Potato Festival. “This is a family event and this town has embraced it and has so much fun with it.”
Blue said the festival is organized and managed by local volunteers who work on different parts of the festival all year around.
“Things have gone very smooth this year and we hope to have a good time and hope people will buy from the booths,” said Blue. “The food is always good, we’ve got a top-notch entertainment lineup and we are selling boxes and boxes of sweet potatoes. It will be a fun day.”
Vardaman has a population of about 2,600. Blue estimated the festival draws from 8,000 to 10,000 people to town depending on the weather.
“People come back home to Vardaman every year to be part of this,” said Blue. “Churches, civic clubs, schools – they all set up a booth and raise money for their projects. This a major fundraiser for those groups and they are able to help people in our community all year based on what they do at the Sweet Potato Festival.”
She pointed to the Famous Vardaman Barbecue Chicken sold at the Fire Department that fund athletic programs throughout the community, and the Tater Taster’s booth that supports activities at Vardaman schools.
“We don’t have a major sponsor,” said Blue. “This is just local people coming together to put on this festival and have a lot of fun.”
The Sweet Potato Festival continues through the week with beauty pageants for different age groups. The event wraps up the following Saturday with the Sweet Potato Festival Banquet at Vardaman Gym.
Parking is always at a premium on Saturday and Blue suggested parking at First Baptist Church, First Methodist Church or Vardaman High School.
For information about the Vardaman Sweet Potato Festival, call 662-682-7559.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago