WREN – Marvin York Haney, 86, died on Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2013, at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo. Born April 15, 1927, in Nara Visa, N.M., he was a son of Coleman Bailey and Nell Logan Haney.
Raised in Pampa, Texas, he was a graduate of Pampa High School. He served the U.S. Navy in the Pacific aboard the USS Atlanta from 1945 until 1946. After his service in the Navy, he worked for 20 years in Avoca and Stamford, Texas, for Humble Oil and Refining Company, later known as Exxon.
After retiring from Exxon in 1968, he moved with his family to Wren as the fourth generation owner of Haney’s General Merchandise in Wren. In addition, his work life and hobbies included farming (row crops, cattle, pine plantation), trucking and working in his metal shop on many projects for himself and for neighbors, raising beautiful tomatoes and maintaining his yard.
A lifelong Methodist, he was a faithful member of Tranquil United Methodist Church where he served on various committees. A devoted husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather, he was deeply loved and respected by all his family.
A celebration of life service will be 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, at E.E. Pickle Funeral Home Chapel in Amory with Rev. Hugh Griffith, Rev. Harrison Upshaw and Rev. Dennis Smithey officiating. Burial will be in Tranquil Cemetery.
Survivors include his wife of 62 years, Reba Prince Haney of Wren; one daughter, Linda Griffith (Hugh) of Starkville; two sons, Bailey Haney (Pam) and Bruce Haney, both of Wren; six grandchildren, Hollie Haney Glenn (Todd), Hope Haney, Heather Haney, Johnny Haney (Brandy), Rebecca Griffith and Ben Griffith; and three great grandchildren, Gregory Glenn, Bryce Glenn and Lillie Kate Haney.
He was preceded in death by his parents; his stepmother, Katie Haney; one brother, Wesley Coleman Haney; one sister, Etta Frances Roman; and grandson, Chris Haney.
Pallbearers will be Robert Noel Smith, Buzzy Cullum, Herbert Word, Jeff Allen, James Richard Haney and Todd Glenn. Honorary pallbearers will be the men of Tranquil United Methodist Church.
Visitation will be from 5 until 7 p.m. Friday and will continue until service time on Saturday at the funeral home.
Memorials may be made to Tranquil United Methodist Church or to the Tranquil Cemetery.
Condolences may be expressed at eepicklefuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago