Just shy of the goal
The Hilltoppers’ attempt to secure another division win fell just two points shy of the goal Oct. 18 as the Houston boys lost 14-12 to Leake Central on the road.
Coach William Cook gave credit to the Topper defense for holding the Gators to only two touchdowns and for a combined effort for a second half rally.
“Defense played great the whole game,” Cook said. “I was very proud of the effort in the second half from the whole team to get us back into the game with a chance to win at the end.”
Jay Jay Jones led on defense with 11 total tackles followed closely by Devin Murphy with 10 and Kevonte Marble and Damien Fields with seven.
The Toppers trailed 6-7 after the first with Jones rushing for the touchdown and the Gators scored in the second to lead 14-6 at the half.
Quarterback Garrison Howell hit Denver McQuary for a TD in the third to draw the Toppers within two at 14-12, but the Houston boys couldn’t get the points to take the lead and the win.
“Our offense had mistakes in the first half that cost us chances to score,” Cook said. “We have to finish drives with points on the board. We have to play four quarters to finish the game.”
Two to go
The Toppers have two more division games left on the schedule with one division win in the bag and an opportunity to extend play into the post-season.
They will travel to West Lauderdale Friday and dive into uncharted waters.
“West Lauderdale is new to our division,” Cook said. “It will be a long road trip, but we still have playoff opportunities with a win over them.”
The team from Collinsville (6-3, 2-1) has wins over Caledonia and Leake Central.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago