Doing 80 on his 80th
HOUSTON – Peddling 80 miles on his 80th birthday is no big deal to Bob Chamblee.
Chamblee and his cycling buddies hopped on the Tanglefoot Trail this weekend and rode from Houston to New Albany – and back – to mark Chamblee’s special day.
“This is the first time I have done this much,” said Chamblee. “I rode from Houston to New Albany a couple of weeks ago and it wasn’t that bad.”
And this from a man who didn’t own a bicycle four months ago.
“I heard about the Trail and I’ve always tried to stay active,” said Chamblee. “I bought a bike and started riding.”
Chamblee has had surgery on both knees. He said he was told cycling was easier on joints than running or walking.
“I started doing a couple of miles a day and have worked my way up,” said Chamblee, who retired from the lumber business years ago. “I’ve made some friends with this bike, with people I’ve met along the trail. We ride from Houston to Houlka just about every afternoon.”
That is 10-miles – one way. He estimates he rides about 100 miles a week.
Chamblee said he enjoys the quiet, scenic ride on the Tanglefoot Trail.
He said he bought a cross between a racing bike and a mountain bike. He pointed out the Trail is hard-surfaced but he wanted to ride up-right. He has outfitted his Schwinn hybrid with odometer/speedometer, a headlight, water bottle and a wider seat.
He said the afternoon crew rides a pretty fast clip and he goes a little slower on his weekend treks up and down the trail. Chamblee lives in Houston, about three block from the Trail.
“My two daughters ride with me and I’ve talked a couple of guys into getting back on a bike and getting a little exercise and having a little fun,” said Chamblee. “I urge anyone thinking about doing this to ride a couple of bikes and find one they are comfortable with. Then start slow and small and work your way up.”
Chamblee said he loves the outdoors and has always lived a fast-paced life. He said cycling fit his nature.
Chamblee said he didn’t get started cycling to get in shape but he has seen a difference.
“I was weighing about 238 when I started and I’m about an even 200 now,” said Chamblee. “I can’t say a feel a whole lot better, but I have made a whole lot of new friends on this bike.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago