COTTON PLANT – Leah Velma Dickerson Pernell went home to be with her Lord on Oct. 16, 2013. She was born to John Addison and Dora Cox Dickerson in Tippah County on April 4, 1916.
She married Reuben Pernell of Cotton Plant on Jan. 5, 1948. He preceded her in death in 2004 after 56 years of marriage.
Mrs. Velma had a sweet, gentle spirit. She never spoke an unkind word against anyone, nor did she ever become angry. She lived her faith in every way. The most important thing in her life was her family – her husband, Reuben; her daughter, Nancy (whom she affectionately referred to as “MY NANCY”; her parents; her three brothers; and her son-in-law, Jim Cobb.
She graduated from Ripley High School in 1934. She was a member of Academy Baptist Church, where she served as church clerk for many years. A family or church dinner was never complete without a piece of Mrs. Velma’s chocolate pie. She was an excellent seamstress, making all her family’s clothes.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013, at Academy Baptist Church at Cotton Plant with the Rev. Jimmy Carr and the Rev. Wayne Cobb officiating. Eulogy will be given by her niece, Janet Jo Dickerson Ransom, and special words by John Haynes. Burial will be in Academy Church Cemetery. United Funeral Service is in charge of arrangements.
She is survived by her daughter, Nancy Pernell Cobb and her husband, Jim Cobb, of Ingomar; her sister-in-law, Clara Bow Roberson Dickerson of Okolona; and nieces and nephews.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Reuben Pernell; her parents, John Addison and Dora Cox Dickerson; and three brothers, Wilson Dickerson (Evelyn), Dr. W.M. Dickerson (Mary Elizabeth) and Milton Dickerson.
Pallbearers will be Jeffery Pernell Smith, Dr. W.M. Dickerson Jr., Wendell Trapp, Bruce Krumcke, Dudley Cox and Paul McAlister. Honorary pallbearers will be the staff of Magnolia Place Personal Care Home.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 18, 2013, at the funeral home and beginning at 10:30 a.m. to service Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013, at Academy Baptist Church.
For online guest registry and condolences go to www.unitedfuneralservice.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago