Tanglefoot Trail ceremony is Sunday
Houston will gather at the proposed gateway to the Tanglefoot Trail Sunday and will send a silver spike to Pontotoc to officially dedicate the trail.
Just as occurred 125 years ago, silver spikes will arrive Sunday in Pontotoc to celebrate the arrival of an alternate mode of transportation. In 1888 it was a railroad locomotive that brought new people and opportunities, and today it’s a bicycle trail.
And they’re both named “Tanglefoot.”
Directors of the GM&O Rails-to-Trails Recreational District and other municipal, county and state officials will gather Sunday at each end of the 44.53-mile Tanglefoot Trail and at stops in between to dedicate rails-to-trails conversion. The trail was named for an early steam-powered locomotive on the railroad built by the grandfather of author William Faulkner.
Ceremonies begin at 1 p.m. at the trailheads in Houston (west of the former railroad overpass on Highway 8) and New Albany (across Bankhead Street from City Hall), followed by whistlestop dedications in New Houlka at 2:15, Ingomar at 2:30, and Algoma and Ecru at 3:10. Silver Spikes arrive in Pontotoc at 4 p.m.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago