Wolverines leave it all on the field
“One thing about our kids is they play hard and won’t quit,” said coach Doug Wilson after his Wolverines dropped a back-and-forth battle to Calhoun City Oct. 11.
His words were never more evident than in the fourth quarter as the Wolverines trailed by two touchdowns with less than three minutes to go. Rather than admit defeat, they pushed down field with quarterback Jack Wilson throwing his way to four consecutive first downs and a touchdown pass in the final minute of the game.
Wilson connected with McKinley Hollenhead and Kolby Crowley to eat up the yards and hit Deangelo Liggins from five-yards out for the final touchdown, although the Wolverines still took the 31-42 loss.
A defensive battle controlled the first quarter and left both teams scoreless, but things started heating up offensively in the second as Calhoun City’s Cartin McBride went on a 79-yard scamper to put the Wildcats on the board and Jordan England connected on the point after attempt.
The Wolverines retaliated, forcing a Calhoun City punt deep in their own territory to set up the East Webster drive on the 39-yard line. Wilson faked and ran for a first down to put the Wolverines inside the red zone and connected with Marques Reives on a 13-yard TD pass. Tyler Cosby connected on the PAT to tie the score at seven-all.
And then the scoring really began.
City knocked in another TD off another McBride run to close the half with the Cats in the lead 14-7.
The Wolves tied it again in at the start of the third as Reives ran back the kickoff all the way to the Calhoun City 10-yard line and Wilbur O’Briant carried it across, but the Cats came back with another McBride TD to retain the lead.
East Webster’s Wilson dropped a bomb on Hollenhead to put the Wolverines inside the 10 but had to settle for a field goal from Cosby and the Wildcats increased their lead on a 32-yard TD pass to Brieton Sykes to close the third quarter up 28-17.
The fourth quarter opened with McBride crossing the goal line on a 31-yard run,but East Webster matched it with O’Briant’s four-yard sweep to the outside.
East Webster’s John Wofford Williams forced a fumble but Calhoun City’s Sykes got the pick to return possession. On the ensuing touchdown, McBride and Lavarious Varnado swapped places with McBride, with McBride pushing the drive and Varnado completing it with the 12-yard TD.
The Wolverines fourth-quarter TD brought them within 11 points in a tit-for-tat outing in divison play.
Taking on the Trojans
The Wolverines (6-8, 0-2) will host the Bruce Trojans (5-2, 1-1) Friday in Cumberland. Wilson knows how tough his division is and will be working to have his team ready.
“Bruce is a great team,” Wilson said. “Big and have a lot of speed. They’ll be a challenge for us this week.”
But Wilson, like his team, doesn’t back down from a challenge.
“We look forward to the challenge of hosting another good team this week,” Wilson said.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Fuller Center cyclist pedal through Houston. April 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago