WEST POINT – Gordon Stewart “Smokey” Pettit, 73, passed away on Monday, Oct. 14, 2013, at his home in West Point. He was born Feb. 19, 1940, in Houston to Syble Iris Walters Pettit and Perry James Pettit.
He was a “B” fitter-welder for Babcock & Wilcox Company for 33 years. He was of the Methodist faith. He married Patsy Beatrice Merideth Pettit on June 18, 1961, in Walthall.
Services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 16, at Calvert Funeral Home Chapel in West Point with Bro. Johnny Cherry officiating. Burial will follow in Chickasaw Memorial Garden at Houston. Calvert Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
Survivors include his wife, Patsy Merideth Pettit; one daughter, Syndy Pettit Andrews (Alan); one son, David Pettit (Lisa), all of West Point; five grandchildren, Merideth Doss (Tim), Jim Andrews, Anna Andrews, John Gordon Pettit and Madalynn Pettit; four great-grandchildren, Dylan Doss, Phillip Andrews, Olivia Andrews and Kayden Doss; two sisters, Margie Harden of West Point and Loudean Vaughn of Houston; and one brother, James Pettit (Martha) of Houston.
His brother, Charles Kenneth Pettit, preceded him in death.
Pallbearers will be Bill Johnstone, Brian Griggs, Johnny Hancock, James Allen Pettit, Bruce Vaughn and Keith Neely.
Visitation is from 5 until 8 p.m. Tuesday at Calvert Funeral Home.
Friends may leave an online condolence at www.calvertfuneralhome.com.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago