WEST POINT – Vera Jeanette Thornton, 82, passed away on Thursday, Oct. 10, 2013, at Dugan Memorial Home. She was born Jan. 16, 1931, in Pontotoc County to Lillian Sullinger and Clark Dunlap.
She was a member of Siloam Baptist Church and owner of Hearts of Dixie Publishing Company. She sang with the Hearts of Dixie Duet. She was a Sunday school teacher and choir member and a woman of God.
Services will be at 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, at Siloam Baptist Church with the Rev. James Moore and the Rev. Larry Dunlap officiating. A graveside service will be at 1 p.m. at New Harmony Cemetery in Union County. Robinson Funeral Home of West Point is in charge of arrangements.
She is survived by her husband, Jamie Thornton of West Point; sons, Gene Thornton (Kathy) of Okolona and Eddie Thornton (Claudia) of Saltillo; daughters, Kay Coggins (Theo) of West Point and Diane Moore (Jym) of Orange, Texas; brother, Larry Dunlap (Dottie) of Guntown; sister, Christine Dunlap Adair of New Albany; six grandchildren, Melissa Borgioli (Tom) of West Point, Jamye Morris (Van) of Birmingham, Ala., Kimberly Merrick of Craig, Colo., Kevin Thornton of Iuka, Justin Thornton (Beth) of Starkville and James Moore (Cheryl) of Longview, Texas; and 12 great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by her parents; and two brothers, Hoyle Dunlap and Roy Dunlap.
Pallbearers will be Rhett Dunlap, Caldwell Dunlap, Van Morris, Justin Thornton, Kevin Thornton and Jym Moore. Honorary pallbearers will be Ricky Adair, Tom Borgioli, Theo Coggins and staff at Dugan Memorial Home.
Visitation will be from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at Robinson Funeral Home. The body will lie in state from 9 to 10 a.m. Saturday at the church.
Memorials may be made to Siloam Baptist Church, 2686 Highway 47, West Point, MS 39773.
Friends may leave condolences online at robinsonfh.net.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Making a difference every day April 26, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago