LOCAL FOCUS: Virginia’s Beauty Shop
Lots of people want to be beauticians and style hair and lots of people give it a try but only the good ones stay with it year after year.
Virginia Langley has been cutting and coloring hair for 38 years and said it is a dream come true.
“Growing up in high school I cut all my friends’ hair and then I went and got my training and I’ve been doing it ever since,” said Langley. “I’ve never wanted to do anything else. I really love my work.”
Langley has cut hair a number of different places and currently has a shop behind Sara’s Boutique on East Madison in Houston where she has been since 1996. She also cuts hair at her home in Sparta.
In 1991 Langley began teaching others the art of cosmetology.
“This business is pretty complex and it changes from year to year,” said Langley. “The industry is always coming out with new colors, processes and of course the styles change all the time. There is a lot to keep up with.”
Going to cosmetology shows, keeping up with her education and paying close attention to styles on the national and local level have become second nature to her.
Langley said the key to her success is offering a quality service at a fair and reasonable price.
“There are a lot of good operators around here,” she added. “I’ve always felt that if I can get you in my shop once or twice, you’ll keeping coming back.”
She said the foundation of her business is longtime customers.
“The people who sit in my chair are not customers and they are more than friends,” she explained. “They have become family. I see them once a week and I keep up with what’s going on in their life. Not only do I care about them, they care about me.”
Virginia’s Beauty Shop offers shampoo and set, perms, color, hi-lights and a blow-dry style. She also cuts men’s hair.
Langley prefers appointments, but walk-ins are welcome if they are willing to wait.
“The best part of my job is seeing people smile when I get finished,” said Langley. “Making people feel better about themselves is what I do.”
Owner: Virginia Langley.
Location: 467 West Madison, Houston and 2555 Hwy. 389, Woodland
Hours: Wed. 8-11, Thu. 8-until, Fri. 8-4 and Sat. 8-noon at Sparta.
Local Focus is a regular business feature of the Chickasaw Journal. Locally owned businesses wanting to be included in Local Focus should call the Chickasaw Journal at 456-3771.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago