Hebron scores Homecoming win
The Hebron Eagles capped off Homecoming festivities Oct. 4 with a big win although they had already it pretty much secured by halftime.
The Eagles completed their first offensive drive with Collin Moore pushing across the goal line from two-yards out and Justin Gordon adding the conversion run for an 8-0 lead.
Gordon scored the next TD on a 16-yard run to put the Eagles up 14-0 in the first.
In the second quarter, quarterback Channing Tapley hit Drew Myatt for a 14-yard TD pass and Tapley ran in the conversion. Tapley then completed a 34-yard pass to Landon Hill for a touchdown to extend Hebron’s lead to 28-0 at the half.
Coach David Foster tried to put the brakes on in the second half, but Drew Myatt snagged an interception and returned it 83 yards for the final Hebron touchdown.
“You just can’t do anything about that,” Foster said. “You can’t tell a kid with an interception not to run.”
With the early lead, Foster was able to sub in players and with three starters out, his younger guys got good time on the field.
“We played a bunch of guys,” Foster said.
He also credited his offensive line for creating the scoring opportunities.
“Jesse (Moore), Troy (Arnold) and Joey (Ard) are my three interior linemen,” Foster said. “They had some good blocking.”
Tapley and Payton Griffin also saw time on the offensive line, “and blocked well.”
The win put Hebron at 1-0 in division play but the journey to playoffs is just beginning. The Eagles will host Kemper Academy in another division game Friday.
“They’re a good team,” Foster said. “It will be a big test for us. We’ll buckle down and get to work to get ready.”
By the numbers
Justin Gordon, 6 carries for 60 yards, 1 TD, 2 conversions
Collin Moore, 4 carries for 57 yards, 1 TD
Landon Hill, 5 carries for 72 yards, 2 receptions for 45 yards, 1 TD reception
Channing Tapley, 5 carries for 26 yards, 3-3 passing with 2 TD passes, 1 conversion
Brandon England, 5 carries for 62 yards
Drew Myatt, 1 TD reception
Drew Myatt, 7 tackles, 1 interception for TD
Troy Arnold, 12 tackles
Channing Tapley, 9 tackles
Drew Hill, 7 tackles
Collin Moore, 6 tackles
Jesse Moore, 5 tackles
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings April 25, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- NFL DRAFT: Tunsil falls to Miami in coach pay scandal, Jones misses 1st Round April 29, 2016
- Tunsil says he took money from an Ole Miss coach April 29, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago