Rabbit season opens Oct. 12
Mississippi’s 2013 – 2014 rabbit hunting season opens October 12, 2013 and closes February 28, 2014. The bag limit is 8 per day. Rabbit hunting is a fun and exciting way to spend time with family and friends and is great way to introduce new people to hunting.
Areas with an ample mixture of grasses, legumes, other broadleaf plants, and low brushy cover typically produce the greatest number of rabbits. “It is difficult to predict what rabbit populations will be, but we expect them to be mostly abundant where cover is suitable,” said Rick Hamrick, Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) Small Game Program Biologist. “Rabbit Observations through the summer appear similar to last year. With the abundant rainfall we had this summer, vegetation conditions that provide cover and food should be good in areas where rabbits thrive. Those factors should have contributed to good survival and reproduction this year.”
Dave Godwin, MDWFP Small Game Program Coordinator, adds, “Rabbit hunting is a fun and exciting activity, especially for young hunters. However, safety is always the first priority. Make sure less experienced hunters are closely supervised and have a safe zone of fire before shooting, particularly when other hunters and dogs are involved in the hunt.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
aberdeen amory arrest Baptist Baseball basketball Bruce business Calhoun City Calhoun County chickasaw Chickasaw County chickasaw journal Christmas city County crime East Webster Economic Development education Eupora featured fire floyd football houlka Houston ICC ingram Jones Mantee Mississippi Money Moore MSU Okolona police Pontotoc school schools Smith Tupelo Vardaman west point Woodland
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago