Public hunting lands open, recreation area closed
The ongoing shutdown of the federal government has closed many popular public hunting areas in Mississippi and the offices of federal agencies responsible for many of these lands are also closed. With small game and archery seasons just beginning in most parts of the state, many hunters are puzzled about which public lands are available and open for public use.
All lands and facilities owned or managed by Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks (MDWFP) remain open for the public to enjoy. This includes all Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) throughout the state. National Forests (Bienville, Delta, DeSoto, Holly Springs, Homochitto, and Tombigbee) owned by the U.S. Forest Service are also open for hunting; but all campgrounds and recreation areas are closed. Lands owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers that are designated for hunting also remain open, but campgrounds and day-use areas are closed and are off limits to the public. All National Wildlife Refuges owned by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (Bogue Chitto, Coldwater River, Dahomey, Grand Bay, Morgan Brake, Noxubee, Panther Swamp, St. Catherine Creek, Tallahatchie, Theodore Roosevelt, and Yazoo) are closed to all public use.
All MDWFP offices, WMAs, state parks, and state lakes will remain open during the shutdown. As always, there will be MDWFP law enforcement officers and biologists on duty across the state.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Southeast moves closer to fire district May 2, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Balancing act May 5, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago