Webster County receives “A” rating
CUMBERLAND/MATHISTON – The Webster County School District received an A rating when the Mississippi Accountability Levels were released Sept. 13. The Webster County School District is one of the 19 school districts in the state that are A-level districts. Webster County Schools is ranked 17th in the state out of the 151 districts.
East Webster High School has received the status of Star school and will receive a grade of A by the Mississippi Department of Education for the 2013-2014 school year. Both are the highest state education rankings.
The achievement comes as a result of increased test performance in almost every subject area of the spring 2013 Subject Area and Mississippi Curriculum Testing. Rankings are based on a Quality of Distribution Index formula, or QDI, that takes into account students’ academic growth, achievement, and graduation rate. East Webster set a district record with a QDI of 214, leading the way for the Webster County School District being named a Star district. The school increased its QDI a total of 18 points from 196 to 214.
At East Webster, seventh grade test scores in Language Arts and math are ranked 11th and 9th in the state, respectively out of 281 schools. Eighth grade is ranked 16th overall in the state. Eighth grade science had a QDI of 249 making it the highest QDI in the state.
Ninth through twelfth grades also saw a lot of success in their scores and moved a total of 100 points from 2012 to 2013. U.S. History increased their scores from a 183 to a 196 for a ranking of 30th overall in the state. Algebra I scores improved from a 206 to a 234 ranking 23rd statewide. English II students showed an increase of 32 points from a 179 to a 211 ranking fifth overall in the state. Biology I saw an increase from 192 to 219 ranking 6th overall.
“We are very proud of how our students performed on the state tests. A lot of hard work by the students and teachers paid off and showed really incredible results,” said Principal Bill Brand. “We had over 50 students win state championships this past year, and we also exceeded expectations in the classroom – A very well rounded school year.”
After the championships the school has won in cheerleading, softball, bowling, and tennis during the school year, East Webster also touts impressive rankings in academics as well.
East Webster Elementary School earned a QDI score of 191 which places them at the performance category of High Performing according to the Mississippi Department of Education. East Webster Elementary School has consistently held the performance category of High Performing for the past 10 years, however the 2013 QDI score of 191 is the highest level of achievement in the school’s history.
“To be named a High Performing school is a great accomplishment that only comes about due to much hard work and dedication on the part of our teachers, faculty and students,” said Principal Jim Ray. “We are very pleased to turn out steady high scores year after year, nonetheless we are currently working to achieve Star status for the 2013-2014 school year.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago