Region’s jobless rate drops second straight month
The 16-county region recorded its second-lowest jobless rate of the year, based on preliminary figures provided by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security.
MDES’ revised figures showed July’s rate was 9.5 percent for the region; the preliminary numbers indicated a 9.3 percent jobless rate.
April has been the best month for the region so far, at 8.5 percent.
Earlier, the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics said the state’s unemployment rate was 8.4 percent. It’s the lowest state jobless rate since February 2009. Mississippi’s unemployment rate had initially been estimated at 8.5 percent in July, but that was revised up to 8.6 percent. The state jobless rate was 9.3 percent in August 2012.
The numbers – adjusted to cancel out normal seasonal changes – revealed the unemployment drop was due to a shrinking labor force.
That was the case in Northeast Mississippi, too.
In the region, Lafayette County (6.6 percent) had the lowest jobless rate, closely followed by Union County (6.7).
Ten of the 16 counties recorded rates under 10 percent. And from July to August, 10 counties had lower rates, three had higher rates, and the remaining three were unchanged.
For August, the number of initial unemployment insurance claims reached 10,205 statewide, compared to 12,042 a month earlier. Last August, the number of claims reached 11,0 00.
Continuing claims for August was 103,782, down from more than 112,000 in July, but nearly 15,000 less than a year earlier.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago