Lady Wolves rolling toward division play
The Lady Wolverines picked up a decisive 13-3 win in five innings over the Lady Hilltoppers Sept. 12 and are heading into Topperland for tourney action, but preparation for division play is foremost on coach Lee Berryhill’s mind.
“We’re not looking ahead game to game,” Berryhill said. “We’re looking ahead to where we want to be as a team. Overall they’re just kids who come to work every day and they’re getting better every day.”
The Lady Toppers started the top of the first with two runs, but the Lady Wolverines went up by one in the bottom of the frame and used the bottom of the second as their springboard.
Kandler Flora singled at lead-off and Josie Reed sent her to third to set up Emily Nason’s RBI. Bailie Springfield, Mamie Hollenhead, Kerrigan Clark and Maddie Flemings all added RBIs in the inning for a 9-3 Lady Wolverine lead.
The Houston girls plated a run in the top of the third as Josie Anderson’s shot over second sent Mary Kansas Sullivan home, but that ended the Houston scoring.
East Webster added two runs in the bottom of the fourth and two in the bottom of the fifth to end the game.
Berryhill credited strategy at the plate for keeping the Lady Toppers off balance.
“Up the middle and opps,” Berryhill said. “We get people on and stress hitting opps and they executed all the away around. They (Houston) were getting out when we hit opposite,but we were scoring runs.”
The Lady Wolverines were scheduled to play French Camp and South Pontotoc this week on their way to the Houston tournament Saturday. The East Webster girls will take on Vardaman and Choctaw Central on the Houston field Saturday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago