Ag Days seeks exhibits
Chickasaw County Ag Days will be held Oct. 3-5 at the Chickasaw County Agri-Center in Houston and organizers are seeking entries for the 4-H Exhibition.
“We are looking for people with a talent or special gift and want them to enter their craft or what they cook or sew the best,” said Angie Abrams, Chickasaw County 4-H Advisor. “We have a lot of very talented people in this community and this is a chance for them to exhibit their gift to the community.”
Abrams said this is the third year for Ag Days to be hosted by the Chickasaw County Extension Service and local ag agencies. The three-days of fun will see typical 4-H exhibits on Thursday, a buckaroo rodeo for youngsters on Friday and a traditional ranch rodeo on Saturday night.
“There are really too many categories to list and we have put together a booklet with the rules and regulations,” said Abrams. “It’s the kind of things you would see at a county fair and we are pretty open about what can be entered.”
And Abrams said first place winners will get a Blue Ribbon and $2. Second and Third Place will also receive ribbons.
“We have some people that enter a lot of categories and use that money to buy Christmas gifts for their family,” said Abrams. “You can enter as many categories as you like, but you can only have one entry in each category.”
Categories range from jewelry and photography to clothing, canning and cooking.
The competition is broken down into youth and adult. There is no fee to enter an exhibit.
Friday will see a Buckaroo Rodeo for kids 12 and under.
“You can make your own stick horse or we will help you make one,” said Angie Abrams, Chickasaw County 4-H coordinator. “It’s going to be a lot of fun for both kids, adults and grandparents. This will be a night for families.”
There will be stick-horse barrel race, bronco riding, dummy roping and wild cow milking. The night will wrap up with a chicken chase. There will also be a celebrity rodeo with local movers and shakers asked to compete in a variety of rodeo events to raise money to finance the three-day event.
Abrams said local businesses are being solicited for prizes for first place winners and ribbons will be given in all categories.
“We will be asking people to get involved and help us with this,” said Abrams. “This is about this community having a little fun and doing something with kids. I hope people will support it.”
Saturday’s ranch rodeo will see serious cowboys compete in sorting, mugging, trailer-loading, branding and team-roping and will pay in average and fastest time in each event. There is a $200, 4-man team entry fee with a 60-percent payout.
Barrel racing has a $25 entry fee and 60-percent payout and $100 added with 20 entries.
For more information or for a complete list of rules please call Abrams at 456-4269. or stop by Chickasaw Journal at 225 East Madison in downtown Houston or the Chickasaw County Extension offices on Lee Horn Drive.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- HLES Performs Nursery Rhymes and Possibilities May 22, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- CARA CHISOLM: There is a reason for Memorial Day May 29, 2016
- Houston Solar Car honored by Legislature May 29, 2016
- NANCY LOOME: Flat appropriations hurt schools May 28, 2016
- BIRTH: John Wyatt Parker May 28, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago