Phone scam target 542 prefix
CHICKASAW COUNTY – If someone calls you and says you’ve won, you may be headed for a loss.
One of the latest scams to hit Chickasaw County has a telephone call saying you’ve won a tractor, lottery or some type of sweepstakes and all you need to do is pay the taxes and you’ll get your prize.
“But it’s all bogus,” said James Myers, Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department Chief Deputy. “There’s no tractor, there’s no lottery and you didn’t win the sweepstakes.”
Myers explained how the scam works
A person gets a phone call saying they have won a prize and all they have to do to claim the prize is pay the taxes or the fees to get it sent or shipped to them. The victim is then instructed to mail or — to speed things up to — wire the money to the caller or use a credit card.
“They ask for about $2,000 to $2,500,” said Myers. “The sad part is we had someone fall for it expecting they would get a tractor.”
Myers said his department traditionally sees one or two of these cases reported a year.
“We think they are randomly dialing numbers with a 542 prefix,” he explained. “We are getting from two to three reports a month about these kind of scams.”
Myers said never wire or send money to anyone you don’t know.
“A reputable business has no problem with you asking questions or taking your time to check things out,” said Myers. “If they pressure you to hurry up and send them the money or put some kind deadline in there, you need to think twice.”
Myers said once the money is mailed or wired, it’s gone.
“We have been in touch with both the Mississippi Attorney General’s office and the Public Service Commission about this,” said Myers. “The tractor scheme initially heads to Kentucky and then jumps to a wireless system that uses the internet. The Lottery or sweepstakes winner scam goes straight to Jamaica.”
Myers urged anyone who gets a suspicious call to hang up and dial 911 immediately. He said most people who are scammed are ashamed and rarely report the crime.
“Doing business over the phone and with credit cards is more and more common and people just need to be aware of these scams,” said Myers. “I tell people if it sounds too good to be true it probably isn’t. And if you are going to do business over the phone or internet, you need to be very, very careful.”
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago