Lady Topper break division with win
Despite a lackluster beginning, the Lady Toppers snagged their first division win in style.
“A slow start,” said coach Jeffrey Mann. “They finally got hot and a very good finish.”
The Lady Bulldogs lit up the scoreboard first with three runs in the bottom of the first inning and added two in the second for a 5-1 lead, but the Lady Toppers hit their groove in the bottom of the frame.
Quaneshia Pratt led off with a single past shortstop and Josie Anderson singled to keep the momentum going. Back-to-back doubles by Alexis McShan and Scarlett Doss set up two RBIs and the Lady Toppers closed the inning down by one.
The Houston girls bats stayed hot in the bottom of the third and fourth, stretching their lead to 11-5.
In the fifth, Talaja Echoles hit her signature homer over left center, plating three runs and ending the game with a division win.
“Not a great start, but not a bad start either,” Mann said. “We’ve got to work on making those simple plays.”
The Houston girls were scheduled to travel to Shannon for their second division game Tuesday and will host tournament on the home field Saturday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Okolona celebrates graduation May 20, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The best we can produce May 27, 2016
- Vardaman packs gym for graduation May 27, 2016
- Hebron clinches MAIS championship May 26, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago