FOOTBALL ROUNDUP: Houston, Bruce fall as Shannon tops Nettleton
In the battle of the unbeatens, Water Valley traveled to Bruce and defeated the Trojans, the Daily Journal’s No. 1-ranked 1A-2A team, 22-16.
QB E.J. Bounds scored on a 5-yard run in the fourth quarter for the game-clinching touchdown for the visiting Blue Devils (4-0).
Bruce (3-1) had scored earlier in the quarter on a 27-yard field goal by Tyler Donovan.
Trojans QB Donta Armstrong scored on a 6-yard run to give his team a 7-0 lead in the first quarter.
Water Valley answered with a 5-yard TD run by Bounds. Elijah Rogers added a 10-yard scoring run to give the Blue Devils a 14-7 halftime lead.
Bruce cut the lead the 14-13 on Armstrong’s 20-yard TD pass to Fisher Ray.
SHANNON 17, NETTLETON 12: The Red Raiders (2-1) won on the road on the strength of two first-half touchdowns.
Jasper Hunt scored the first Shannon points on a 4-yard run. QB Kendall Cox then passed 28 yards to Chavis Dilworth for a TD.
Hunter Robbins kicked a 30-yard field goal in the fourth quarter for Shannon.
BALDWYN 39, BELMONT 18: Bearcats running back Laquintez Upshaw rushed for 172 yards and scored three TDs to lead Baldwyn (2-2).
Upshaw scored on runs of 7, 10 and 36 yards.
Baldwyn QB Corbin Scott hooked up with Martel Brown for a 42-yard TD strike. Armontie Price scored on a 21-yard return of a fumble and Tyran Shinault added a 16-yard TD run for the winners.
Luke Alexander threw two TD passes – 54 yards to Brett Williams and 71 yards to Lorenzo Braxton – for Belmont (1-3).
COLUMBUS 41, WEST POINT 14: Class 6A Columbus dominated 5A West Point on their home field.
Aeris Williams, who was held to 36 yards rushing on 11 carries, scored on a 3-yard run and Josh Ewing a 5-yard run in the first half for the Green Wave (1-2). No scoring information was reported from Columbus (2-1).
ITAWAMBA AHS 31, CENTER HILL 21: Sophomore QB Vijay Miller threw for one TD and ran for another in the Indians’ (2-2) victory.
Miller’s 18-yard run in the third quarter and Peyton Green’s fumble recovery in the end zone in the fourth quarter were key scores.
NEW SITE 27, IMMANUEL 14: RB Quintin Grzesiak rushed for 144 yards and scored on a 17-yard run in the fourth quarter to lead the Royals (2-2).
QB Koie Jackson scored on TD runs of 46, 3 and 2 yards while RB J.T. Herring added 127 yards rushing for New Site.
STARKVILLE 34, SOUTHAVEN 14: Yellow Jackets QB Princeton Jones passed for two TDs and rushed for one to lead Starkville (2-2) in a non-division game between 6A schools.
EAST WEBSTER 21, HOUSTON 13: Deanagelo Williams, Kenny Hollenhead and Tyler Doss all scored second-half TDs to lead the Wolverines (4-0).
SMITHVILLE 22, THRASHER 7: The Seminoles (3-1) went on the road to win their Division 1-1A opener.
STARKVILLE ACADEMY 49, HILLCREST 8: The Volunteers (2-2) got back in the win column with a dominating home victory. Its the fifth straight win in the series for Starkville.
OAK HILL 20, WINSTON 15: Oak Hill (2-2) went to .500 on the young season with its home victory.
SOUTH PANOLA 24, N. LITTLE ROCK 23: The Tigers defeated North Little Rock, the No. 1-ranked 7A team in the state of Arkansas.
HATLEY 30, ALCORN CENTRAL 20: Tigers (1-3) won on the road. No scoring information provided.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Collecting old fines, collecting on promises April 28, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- SCORES: Baseball Saturday, April 30 May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago