Satellite offices still open for license renewals
JACKSON – Mississippi drivers still can get their licenses renewed or replaced at satellite offices that are open part time at various spots across the state.
Warren Strain, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, said because of modernization efforts, testing for new applicants for driver’s licenses will not be conducted at the offices that are open part time – generally in rural counties.
“If you need a renewal, you can get that done” at the satellite office, Strain said. “If you lose your driver’s license, you can get a replacement.
“They (Public Safety travel team members) will be there as they are scheduled to be there.”
The testing for new driving applicants is going to be temporarily halted at the satellite offices to update the Department of Public Safety computer system. The modernization is scheduled to be completed by fall 2015. It is not clear when testing at the satellite offices will resume.
Meanwhile, 30 regular, full-time locations will be open across the state for testing and other needs. Those offices include Tupelo, New Albany, Corinth, Oxford and Starkville in Northeast Mississippi. The addresses for those locations and the other permanent locations can be found at www.dps.state.ms.us.
Nineteen part-time locations where testing will not be done include Booneville, Burnsville, Pontotoc, Amory and West Point in Northeast Mississippi.
The issue of locations to obtain driver’s license has been of interest to Northeast Mississippi legislators who played a key role in pushing through legislation in the 2013 session requiring Public Safety to have a part-time location in every county seat where a request is made by the board of supervisors.
Various Northeast Mississippi legislators, including Sens. Russell Jolly, D-Houston, and J.P. Wilemon, D-Belmont, said their constituents have complained about the long distances they have to travel to obtain a driver’s license.
Strain said if the supervisors want a part-time office in their county they must provide Public Safety a location and other infrastructure needs, such as a high-speed line for computer hookups.
That legislation was pushed by Northeast Mississippi legislators because there are no examiners in the counties of Chickasaw, Itawamba, Benton, Marshall and Calhoun.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- CARA CHISM: Let’s work together for community May 1, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago