Authorities said Tony Mark “Bubba” Raines, 16, died enroute to Central Mississippi Medical Center Saturday morning. His brother Logan Raines, 14, and Trent Huffman, 16, were also burned when the camper they were sleeping in caught fire.
“At this point we don’t know exactly what caused the fire,” said Chickasaw County Fire Investigator James Myers. “Logan Raines said he woke up and when it sat up his head was in smoke. He got out and then went back in to get his brother and Huffman and then drove down the road to get help.”
Myers said there is no hard evidence at this point of an explosion, but the fire is under investigation.
He said an investigator with the State Fire Marshal’s office was called in and an autopsy has been ordered. Myers said both are standard procedure with a fatal fire.
“We do know Huffman sustained serious burns to his upper body and Logan had burns to his hands and back,” said Myers. “They were camping in a FEMA trailer and somehow it caught fire.”
Myers said the trio were driven to Trace Regional Hospital in Houston by a neighbor and emergency room personnel called 911.
Chickasaw County Coroner Andy Harmon said all three were airlifted to Central Mississippi and Huffman was later transported by jet to a burn hospital in Atlanta.
Harmon said Mark Raines died at Central Mississippi. He said Logan may be released as early as this week but Huffman’s injuries are more serious.
Captain Jason Davis, of the Houston Fire Department, said fire trucks were dispatched at 4:50 a.m. to 420 Country Road 92 in the Arbor Grove community and arrived on the scene at 5:04. Southeast Volunteer Fire Department also responded to the blaze. Firefighters were on the scene until 6 a.m., and the area was sealed with yellow fire-scene tape.
A memorial service was held for Bubba Raines at Arbor Grove Baptist Church Sunday afternoon. Students drove to Houston High School Monday morning in a police-escorted caravan of pickup trucks and both church youth pastors and school counselors were made available to friends of the trio.
This is the second fatal fire in Chickasaw County in a month.
Carolyn Buggs, 76, of 177 County Road 242 north of Houlka died when her trailer caught on fire Aug. 22.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Toppers’ Smith shuts out Newton May 26, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Helping those who help us May 26, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago