4-H lifts off at space camp
HOUSTON – For the second year, members of Chickasaw County 4-H spent a week learning about different properties of physics and chemistry and having a blast doing it.
A grant from Mississippi State University funded the 20-hour camp and about 20 children and youth enjoyed various activities, including Maddox Clouse’s favorite.
“We made homemade ice cream in a bag,” Clouse said with a smile.
The program is modeled on NASA Space camp and participants learned to make two kinds of rockets, soda can hero engines and bubble blowers among other projects.
“They also learned there has to be a cloud to have rain,” said 4-H Program Associate Angie Abrams, explaining an experiment that combined water and shaving cream.
“The moisture in the clouds causes the rain,” Abrams said.
The campers split into groups to create towers of raw spaghetti and marshmallows, an experiment that utlized concepts of engineering.
The conclusion of camp was a competition to see which student could construct the most durable launch pad out of styrofoam cups, cardboard, rubber bands and index cards.
“We’re going to drop them from different heights and see if the astronauts (marshmallows) stay in the cup,” said Dr. Bill Burdine.
At the conclusion of the experiment, Clouse’s launch was the most successful, with all marshmallows remaining in the cup from a drop of three feet.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- Group digruntled by principal change April 22, 2016
- HLES names 3rd nine week honor roll April 26, 2016
- Pellet gun prompts Middle School lockdown April 26, 2016
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- FAFSA Fridays April 27, 2016
- Magazine available to community April 29, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- A perfect festival April 28, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago