Two hurt, one dead in camper fire
HOUSTON – Two teenagers have been seriously burned and a third has died in an early morning fire in Chickasaw County.
Authorities are not releasing the name of the fatality or the other two victims pending notification of next or kin, but did say the fatality was a 16-year-old male and the other two burned in the fire were age 16 and 14.
“All three were airlifted to a Jackson hospital and one of the boys did pass away,” said Chickasaw County Coroner Andy Harmon. “We have been unable to talk to the other two boys and all the families were enroute to the hospital this (Saturday) morning.”
Chickasaw County Fire Investigator James Myers said what caused the fire at 4 a.m., in a camper off of County Road 92 in the Arbor Grove Community has not been determined.
“One of the boys apparently got out and ran to a neighbor’s house and they carried them to Trace Regional Hospital in Houston,” said Myers. “They were treated there and three landing zones were set up – one at the hospital and two at the Walmart parking lot nearby.”
Myers said Houston Fire Department and South East Volunteer Fire Department were dispatched to the fire and put out the blaze.
“They were apparently camping out and somehow a fire got started,” said Myers. “One of the youngsters looks like he is going to make it but the other boy is in pretty bad shape.”
This is the second fatal fire in Chickasaw County in a month.
Carolyn Buggs, 76, of 177 County Road 242 north of Houlka died when her trailer caught on fire Aug. 22.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- Hamby recognized for driving safety April 27, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: The Square May 1, 2016
- Mississippi black bears are on the move May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago