Wolves go to the wire for win
By Brett Bailey
That is exactly what the East Webster Wolverines treated the Noxapater Tigers and their home field crowd to. In a back and forth defensive battle, the Wolverines were able to come out on top for a 20-19 victory.
The action didn’t pick up until the second quarter, when junior running back, DeAngelo Liggins, pushed through the Noxapater defense to score from nine-yards out. Tyler Cosby was good On the PAT, giving East Webster a 7-0 with 9:16 left.
Things were smooth sailing for the Wolves, who were hoping for a lead to go into half time, until Noxapater senior quarterback, Tyrell Carter, connected on a pass for a 23-yard touchdown. The conversion was no good, but the Tigers had closed the gap to one going into half.
Noxapater came out firing on all cylinders for the second half. With 10:48 left in the third, Noxapater pounced on a loose East Webster football, giving the Tigers the ball on their own 48. After pushing into the red zone, sophomore running back, Vonte Woods, took the ball in for a three-yard touchdown. Again, the two-point conversion was stopped, but the Tigers had taken a 12-7 lead.
The Wolverines couldn’t muster a touchdown in the third, but Woods was able to break through the East Webster defense for another short Tiger touchdown. The PAT was good, and Noxapater widened the gap to 19-7.
As the fourth quarter opened, the rally started for the Wolverines. DeAngelo Liggins took the opening kick at his own 10 and was able to take all the way to the Noxapater 37. On the next play, Liggins rushed for 15 yards into the redzone to keep the momentum going. From there, sophomore quarter back Jack Wilson took the ball on a keeper and scored from four-yards out. Cosby was good on the PAT and the Wolverines were back in the game, down 19-14 with 10:15 left to play.
The East Webster defense held the Tigers to a three-and-out on their next drive, when junior Monterious Davis blocked the Noxapater punt. The Wolverines recovered and took the ball with great field postion on the Noxubee 23 with 5:09 left in the game. The Tigers were able to turn the tide, however, and intercept the ball in the endzone.
The Tigers coughed up the ball on their next play and the Wolves recovered on the Tiger 20. The Noxapater defense stiffened up and held the fired-up Wolverine offense to a third-and-nine from the 19. Liggins pulled through again and managed to find a hole in the defense and exploit it for an eleven-yard gain and a first down. He took the ball again on the following play and put it in the endzone. The PAT was no good but a one-point lead was all that East Webster needed to take the win, 20-19, and advance their record to 2-0.
The Wolverines will return home this week for Homecoming taking on the Nettelton Tigers in a 7 p.m. matchup.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Houlka names consolidation commissioners May 2, 2016
- Okolona aldermen address downtown buildings May 3, 2016
- Vardaman sweeps Biggersville May 3, 2016
- DAN MULLEN: ‘No intention of ever leaving’ May 3, 2016
- Hilltoppers top Corinth May 6, 2016
- Hilltoppers dominate Commodores May 6, 2016
- Lady Toppers down Senatobia May 5, 2016
- Houston to host National Day of Prayer today May 5, 2016
- Jones to play in NFL with with Kansas City May 5, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago