Cougars stingy defense stymies Rams
It was another tough night for the Vardaman Rams Friday, as the South Pontotoc Cougars dominated the entire way and handed them a 30-6 loss at home.
They managed a mere one touchdown against a stingy Cougar defense and could not contain the South offense, which marched up and down the field to the tune of 422 total yards.
The South defense got the ball rolling in the opening minutes of the game when Armon Gregory picked off a Brandon Walker pass and returned it 40 yards for a score with 10:40 left in the first.
After the two teams traded punts, the Cougars forced a turnover on downs and Gregory ripped off a 22-yard run on the opening play of the drive. Moving the ball to the Ram thirty yard line on the ground, quarterback Wesley Ross hit Tucker Babb over the middle for a 21-yard pickup on fourth and eleven. Two plays later Josh Estes ran it in from 6 yards out to put the Cougars up 13-0 with 10:08 to go in the second quarter.
The Ram rallied with a nice, ten-play drive that reached the Cougar eleven, but South’s Clay Hood recovered a costly Ram fumble to send them away empty handed. The South offense then struck again when Ross found Hood behind the Ram defense for a 53-yard score An Austin Rainwater extra point made it 20-0 with 4:34 left in the half.
Vardaman got a couple of quick first downs on their next possession, but a costly sack ended the threat. Getting one more chance, South quickly marched down the field 70 yards to the Ram 14. Ross was 4-4 for 67 yards on the drive, including three completions to Gregory on quick hitters. Rainwater capped off half by nailing a 36-yard field goal with six seconds remaining, putting the Cougars up 23-0.
Not content to rest on their laurels, the Cougars scored on their opening possession of the third quarter. A nice kick return from Estes and a 19-yard run from Gregory set up Ross’s second touchdown toss of the night, this one a 30-yard strike to Gregory.
The Rams (0-2) avoided the shutout when Quon Cummings broke free for a 30-yard run with 10:37 to go, but did not sustain many drives against the Cougar stopper unit, which has allowed a grand total of 14 points through two games.
The Vardaman defense surrendered a number of big pass plays to Ross, who was an efficient 8-10 through the air for 181 yards, and the Cougars ground game produced an additional 241.
The Rams will travel to face off with Hamilton this Friday.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago