Lancaster raises $8,000 for Boys & Girls Clubs
TUPELO – Eleven volunteers tripped the light fantastic for kid’s sake Aug. 24 and set a new fundraising record for North Mississippi Boys and Girls Clubs.
The eighth annual Dance Like the Stars event raised over $244,000, far surpassing the $186,000 mark it reached in 2012.
The event raises money for BGC programs that teach and encourage development through education, arts, sports and fitness and leadership programs.
Ruby Lee Lancaster of Houston donated her time and dancing shoes to the program, traveling to Tupelo this summer for dance lessons and competing in the event. She and partner, Matt Embler, performed to the Barry Manilow song, “Copacabana” and Lancaster earned a score of 25 of 30 points. She raised over $8,000 to help offset expenses incurred at the Houston clubhouse.
Lancaster said while she enjoyed the experience, she didn’t realize how much work and effort went into learning a competitive dance.
“I had no idea,” Lancaster smiled.
Zell Long, Chief Financial Officer of BGCNMS was thrilled with the success of the event and praised the volunteers for their willingness to train and compete.
“He (God) gathered this wonderful group of individuals to be our celebrity dancers to sacrifice your time, energy, moments with your families and all of the omissions of your everyday lives,” Long said.
BGCNMS manages clubhouses in Oxford, New Albany, Ripley and Tupelo. The clubhouse in Houston closed in July and members of the advisory board are looking at ways to restructure the organization.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Lisa Voyles
- EDITORIAL: Tourism Tax Facts May 19, 2016
- Commission meets, offers concerns on consolidation May 23, 2016
- Houston wins state baseball championship May 23, 2016
- CONSOLIDATION: The Commission May 23, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Tourism tax and consolidation May 23, 2016
- NEWS BRIEFS: Feeding program, driver’s license and county election commissioners May 25, 2016
- Pugh earns WBC Business Award May 25, 2016
- JAY HUGHES: Threats and promises from lawmakers May 24, 2016
- State of the Region meeting set for May 26 May 24, 2016
- Okolona addresses blighted property May 24, 2016
- Michael Mcalpin: As a kid I spent many an afternoon in the fire sta...
- Hang Abarca: Hi Sharmaine! my work colleague filled in a blank ...
- Sharmaine Sartor: Useful commentary . I learned a lot from the analy...
- Lahoma Stapleton: Hi smithjasmine. I got ahold of a template CG 20 3...
- smithjasmine: Timely ideas , I loved the details . Does someone ...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago