OKOLONA – Lela Fern Koehn Unruh, 73, died Friday, Aug. 30, 2013, at Baptist Hospital in Columbus after an eight month illness. Born April 20, 1940, in McPherson, Kan., Lela grew up there and attended the Harmony Schools.
She married the love of her life, LaVern Unruh in Glava, Kan. on March 20, 1959, a marriage that lasted 53 years until his death on April 29, 2012. They made their home many years in the Galva area where they farmed and did custom harvesting. In 1973, they moved to the Egypt community in Okolona where they continued their farming interests, raising soybeans and catfish. She was a devoted wife, mother and grandmother. She and Laverne were charter members of the Church of God in Christ, Mennonite Church in the Egypt Community and were instrumental in its growth and development over the years. She was a master housewife, who enjoyed tending to the needs of her husband, children and grandchildren, cooking and sewing, and was involved in the growth and development of many in the greater Okolona area.
Services will be 10:30 a.m. Monday, Sept. 2, at Okolona Mennonite Church with Ministers Todd Becker, Roy Koehn, and Jeff Jantz officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery. Holland Funeral Directors of Okolona Chapel is entrusted with all arrangements.
Survivors include her children, Bryan Unruh and wife, Starla of Prairie, Anthony Unruh and wife, Cindy of Okolona, Leesa Schmidt and husband, Lonnie of Buhl, Idaho and Susan Koehn and husband, David of Okolona; 10 grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; three brothers, Floyd Koehn (Wanda) of Bloomfield, Iowa, Leeland Koehn (Gloria) of Manerva, Ohio and Roy Koehn (Julia) of Homeworth, Ohio; sisters, Malinda Unruh (Eli) of Galva, Kan., Elsie Unruh (Sanford) of Okolona and Elvina Koehn of Mound Ridge, Kan.; and a host of nieces, nephews and cousins.
She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, LaVern; and her siblings, Henry, Paul, Wilbur, Pearl and Verna Mae.
Pallbearers will be Laramie Unruh, Rustin Unruh, Chad Unruh, Jonathan Schmidt, Dallas Schmidt and Silas Peaster.
Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Sunday at the church and will continue Monday morning prior to the service.
Memorials may be made to the Okolona Mennonite Church, c/o Craig Koehn, 1109 CR 410, Okolona, MS 38860.
Condolences may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
About Floyd Ingram
- PROM NIGHT 2016! April 24, 2016
- Lady Toppers tripped by Lady Wolverines April 28, 2016
- Rams fall short on Senior Night April 28, 2016
- Drug disposal day is Saturday April 28, 2016
- SCORES: Thursday, April 28 softball and baseball April 29, 2016
- Murder/suicide ruled in Okolona Motel deaths April 30, 2016
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Musicians die but never the music April 30, 2016
- Fast moving front rattles Chickasaw County April 29, 2016
- Chickasaw County no longer under tornado warning April 29, 2016
- JIM HOOD: Ignoring needs is not good government April 29, 2016
- THEOUSTEDONE: Oh yes. It is very interesting since Mrs. Dendy al...
- Consolodation | Home: […] Chickasaw consolidation likely headed to...
- Karie)Chapel: Thought-provoking article - I loved the facts . Do...
- Cortez Whittaker: Practical commentary . I am thankful for the infor...
- Byrne Cpa Firm Houston Ms | Rates for CPA Services for SMB: […] Globetrotters fun for all kids – Sulli...
- RT @wcbiweather: The heat index has surpassed 100 in many spots today. Stay cool out there! #mswx #alwx #wcbi http://t.co/Lt2LRZTDcm 3 years ago
- RT @dennisseid: OSHA: 24 work-related deaths in Miss. last year http://t.co/lgEYYtK7ZR 3 years ago
- Speech pathologists work to better communication skills | Monroe Journal http://t.co/lyHLvb0OS1 3 years ago
- Mumford & Sons bassist has blood clot on brain http://t.co/4xNLMhxaif 3 years ago
- Mobile home fire claims one | Itawamba Times http://t.co/FHouwxbnsp 3 years ago